As an avid bird enthusiast, I have spent countless hours exploring nature’s wonders and marveling at our planet’s diverse avian species. Among the many fascinating characteristics of birds, the presence of a distinctive white ring around the neck has always captured my attention.
In this article, I will share my personal experiences and encounters with eight remarkable birds that showcase this unique feature. From the playful Killdeer to the majestic White-necked Raven, each bird has its own story.
Birds With White Ring Around Neck
There are eight birds with white rings around their necks: Killdeer, Common Wood Pigeon, Ring-necked Pheasant, White-collared Blackbird, AMERICAN ROBIN, Ring ouzel, bank swallow, and White-necked raven. Among these captivating features, the presence of a white ring around the neck adds an extra touch of elegance and allure to certain avian species.
One sunny morning, while strolling along the banks of a tranquil river, I spotted a Killdeer gracefully darting across the sandy shore. With its striking brown and white plumage, it was impossible to miss the prominent white ring encircling its neck. This small, shorebird captivated me with its energetic display of flight and its melodious calls that echoed through the air. Killdeer is a type of brown bird with a white ring around its neck.
- Size: Small to medium-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 23-27 cm (9-11 inches)
- Weight: Around 88-150 grams (3-5.3 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 46-48 cm (18-19 inches)
- Color: Brownish upperparts, white underparts, and a distinctive white ring around the neck.
Common Wood Pigeon
Venturing into a lush woodland, I came across a flock of Common Wood Pigeons perched upon the branches. Amidst the sea of gray feathers, I noticed the distinctive white collar encompassing their necks, which added a touch of elegance to their appearance. Their gentle cooing harmonized with the rustling leaves, creating a soothing melody that resonated within me. Common Wood pigeons are a type of gray bird with a white ring around the neck.
- Size: Medium to large-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 38-43 cm (15-17 inches)
- Weight: Around 300-400 grams (10.6-14.1 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 68-77 cm (27-30 inches)
- Color: Grayish plumage, with a white neck ring adding elegance to its appearance.
While exploring open grasslands, I was fortunate to witness the vibrant plumage of the Ring-necked Pheasant. This regal bird, with its radiant hues of red, brown, and green, displayed a slender white ring prominently positioned around its neck.
It is also type of Black and White Birds With Red Chests.Its striking appearance left me in awe, as it effortlessly blended with the surrounding vegetation. Ring-necked Pheasant is a type of large bird with a white ring around its neck.
- Size: Large-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 64-89 cm (25-35 inches)
- Weight: Around 700-1500 grams (24.7-52.9 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 75-90 cm (30-35 inches)
- Color: Male birds exhibit vibrant plumage with a white neck ring, while females have more subdued brown feathers.
During a trip to wetland habitat, I found myself immersed in the symphony of bird songs. Among the chorus, the distinctive calls of the White-collared Blackbird caught my attention. As I observed this black beauty perched atop a reed, I marveled at the contrasting white ring gracing its glossy plumage. The white collar seemed to emphasize the bird’s poise and elegance. It is a black bird with a white ring around its neck. You can category it type of Black Birds With Long Beaks.
- Size: Medium-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 24-28 cm (9.4-11 inches)
- Weight: Around 75-105 grams (2.6-3.7 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 36-42 cm (14-16.5 inches)
- Color: Male birds feature black plumage with a prominent white ring around the neck, while females are duller and lack the white collar.
One spring morning, as the dawn painted the sky with hues of pink and orange, I encountered an American Robin amidst a lush garden. With its rust-colored breast and bright yellow beak, this familiar bird stood out, its white neck ring adding a touch of grace to its appearance. Its cheerful song filled the air, signaling the arrival of a new day.
- Size: Medium-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 23-28 cm (9-11 inches)
- Weight: Around 77-85 grams (2.7-3 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 31-41 cm (12-16 inches)
- Color: Brownish upper parts, reddish-orange breast, and a white neck ring that accentuates its appearance.
Hiking through a mountainous region, I was captivated by the enchanting melody of a Ring Ouzel. This elusive thrush, known for its somber coloration, exhibited a distinct white crescent encircling its neck. As it flitted from one rocky perch to another, the white ring caught the sunlight, shimmering like a precious jewel amid the rugged landscape. Ring ouzel is a little bit of blue bird with a white ring around the neck.
- Size: Medium-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 22-26 cm (8.7-10.2 inches)
- Weight: Around 75-95 grams (2.6-3.4 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 36-41 cm (14-16 inches)
- Color: Black plumage with a distinct white crescent or ring around the neck.
Observing a colony of Bank Swallows nesting along a riverbank, I marveled at their remarkable aerial acrobatics. These agile birds, with their distinctive forked tails and brown feathers, featured a subtle yet discernible white collar. Their synchronized flights and swift movements created an awe-inspiring spectacle, as the white rings around their necks appeared like miniature halos in motion. Bank Swallow is a small bird with a white ring around neck.
- Size: Small-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 11-13 cm (4.3-5.1 inches)
- Weight: Around 10-20 grams (0.4-0.7 ounces)
- Wingspan: Approximately 25-29 cm (9.8-11.4 inches)
- Color: Brownish upper parts, white underparts, and a subtle white collar around the neck.
In a remote African savannah, I had the privilege of witnessing the majestic White-necked Raven in its natural habitat. This impressive corvid, with its glossy black feathers, showcased a striking white ring around its neck that provided a captivating contrast. Its intelligent gaze and impressive aerial maneuvers left an indel. White-necked raven is a large black bird with a white ring around the neck.
- Size: Large-sized bird
- Length: Approximately 60-69 cm (24-27 inches)
- Weight: Around 1.2-1.5 kg (2.6-3.3 pounds)
- Wingspan: Approximately 118-130 cm (46-51 inches)
- Color: Glossy black plumage, with a striking white ring encircling the neck, creating a captivating contrast.
What bird has a white ring around its neck?
One bird species that is known for having a white ring around its neck is the Canada Goose (Branta canadensis). Canada Geese are large waterbirds native to North America. They have a distinctive white “chinstrap” or “collar” that encircles their necks, contrasting with the dark coloration of the rest of their body. This feature is particularly noticeable during the breeding season.
What birds have a white collar?
The White-collared Kingfisher, White-collared Yuhina, White-collared Seedeater, and White-collared Swift are bird species known to have a white collar or ring around their necks.
What kind of bird has black and white rings around its neck?
A bird species that has black and white rings around its neck is the African Penguin (Spheniscus demersus). Also known as the Black-footed Penguin or Jackass Penguin, it is found along the coastal areas of southern Africa. These penguins have a black back and head with a white belly, and their most distinctive feature is the black band that encircles their necks, separating the black and white plumage. This pattern gives the appearance of a black “collar” or rings around their necks.
What bird has two rings around its neck?
A bird species known for having two distinct rings around its neck is the Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus). Double-crested Cormorants are large water birds found in North America. During the breeding season, they develop two white patches of plumage on either side of their neck, resembling double rings or crests. These patches are temporary and disappear outside of the breeding season. The rest of the bird’s body is predominantly black.
The avian world never ceases to amaze with its diverse array of features and colors. The presence of a white ring or collar around the neck adds a touch of elegance and distinction to certain bird species. From the graceful Killdeer to the regal White-necked Raven, each bird captivates our attention with its unique markings. Whether it’s a single white ring, a collar, or a combination of black and white rings, these birds showcase nature’s artistry and remind us of the beauty that surrounds us in the animal kingdom.